Sunday, October 7, 2012

James & bed time

Other than the weekends, I don't get a whole lot of time with James during the week.  Most nights, I am home in time for dinner, a bit of playtime after dinner, then its baths and bedtime.  Most of the development and learning James does is because of all the time and effort Jess gives to James while I am at work.  So my impact (during the week) is basically limited primarily bed times.

For most of the last year, our bed time routine would begin with me reading  James an assortment of books (mostly about trucks). Then I would say our night prayers while James squirmed to get free. After prayers, it was lights out and we would rock and I would sing various songs or be quiet.  About 15 minutes after lights out, I would put James down, tuck him in, and leave.  The next 20-30 minutes would be James chatting or crying in his crib, trying to get Jess and I to come visit.  It was a good routine that worked well.

About 6 weeks ago, James began to demand a change in the routine, and to be honest, I find this new routine more enjoyable.  We still read and say our night prayers as we always have - but James has begun to fold his hands and mimic me while I am saying our prayers.  Its as if he is also praying along with me.  He even says "Amen" when we finish.  When the lights go off, James either requests select songs or a story. For the songs - he has learned a few words from a variety of songs and will repeat the words till I start the correct song.  For the stories - he begins making an animal sound ("arf" or "roar", etc.) if he wants to hear a story about the corresponding animal.  Since I don't know stories about all the animals he knows, usually I am making up our bedtime stories.

After a few songs or a couple stories, I put James in bed, but without tucking him in.  He than asks me to lay on the floor, which I do.  I spend about 15 minutes laying on the floor while James lays in bed talking to me.  At some point, he will pull up his blanket and tuck himself in, at which point I leave.

The great thing about this new routine is how much more independent, but interactive James has become.  It seems every week he has picked up several new words that I don't hear until bed time.  And I get this time to talk to him and teach him new things as well.  After a long day at work - its moments like these that help me reset and recognize what my real priorities in life are.

1 comment: